Friday, September 26, 2008

Sunday, September 28, 2009

Earlier this week Beth and I had some wood flooring installed in our living room. This has been a needed project for many years. I got a great deal on it from my friend, Mike, who is the owner of the flooring company my father and uncle worked for over many decades. I trust their installers because I know they will do it right. The biggest blessing of the whole thing was that about 45 minutes after meeting the installer (whom I didn't know before) I was helping him pray to receive Jesus Christ as his Savior! Though it was Monday morning and I was tired, I could sense that our initial, friendly conversation was taking a very serious turn towards the subject of spirituality, eternity, and the needs that God had been working in this man's life. He was very receptive as I was very ready to pray with him. We had good fellowship throughout the day as he worked, which carried over into Tuesday as he finished. Please pray for Dominic that he will continue to read the Bible and material I gave him, and that he and I will be able to arrange some meetings together in the days ahead.

For this Sunday we have all our classes meeting at 9:30 AM. Some good studies for Adults are continuing, you need to be involved in one if you haven't been already. Pray for Pete as he will be visiting his parents this week and I will be filling in for that class as we study from James 2.

In our 10:45 AM service we will continue our study in looking at God's Plan for all time through the dispensations. "How God Has and Does Deal With Us" will be our theme this week as we look at Genesis 3 - 7 where the dispensation of Conscience is key. I will finish our look at the first dispensation of Innocence by seeing how the Edenic Covenant fits here, then continue through the dispensation of Conscience and see how the Adamic Covenant factors in. Don't be confused, it will all make sense. Though dispensationalism can be a controversial subject, we make no apologies for subscribing to this view of Biblical interpretation. Pray for me as I attempt to "sermonize" this subject which is much more given to flat out teaching.

Our 6:00 PM time includes ministries for the whole family. AWANA for kids continues to go well. Our teens time will take a turn toward Missions with some exciting news and future events. Adults will continue with part 3 of our video series on the life of the Apostle Peter, hosted by Michael Card in Israel. Jesus and His disciples have wrapped up their ministry in Galilee for the last time and turn toward Jerusalem. Come and learn about the land, the situation, and how much like Peter you and I are.

Please note that coming up next week, on October 3 & 4 will be the Streetsboro Quilt Guild Show that is held in our building. Last year over 500 people came to our facilities to view the quilts and it all turned out to be a positive experience for them and us. I anticipate this year being the same. I need your prayers as this year they are having a ribbon for the "Pastor's Choice" quilt, and I know nothing about the intricacies of quilt making. If someone REALLY wants that award, they should probably make a quilt with a cross stiched picture of LeBron James on it. That would win my vote for sure!

Also next weekend there are opportunities for you in our area to attend some meetings that emphasize missions around the world. We have all the information on the bulletin board about these, so I will only mention the basics here. On October 4 (Saturday) there will be a regional meeting for the Voice of the Martyrs meeting in Aurora. Also that day will be another meeting at Bethlehem Baptist in Orange Village with representatives of the Jewish Awareness Ministries discussing whether or not we are living in the shadows of the great tribulation. With the financial news of the past week, I would not be surprised if we are. And at Bible Baptist in Bedford that same evening (Oct. 4) there will be a meeting with one of the speakers from the Voice of the Martyrs ministry speaking as a former Muslim. Wow, I can hardly figure out which one to attend! Knowing me, I will run around and catch a bit of all of them. Hopefully you will not let this day pass without taking in some of it.

Our Christmas Cantata choir rehearsals begin at 4:45 PM on Sunday, October 12, but we will tell you more about that as it gets closer.

Our son, Joshua, just celebrated his 23rd birthday this past week on September 23. How time does fly! We are thankful for him and are glad that he and Emily are doing well now into their fourth month of married life.

And Nicholas celebrates his 2nd birthday this Sunday, Sept. 28. Beth and I were going to try to make a fast trip out and back, but it may not happen this week. I am sure his mommy and daddy have some special things planned for him, beginning with going to the local high school football game tonight! He will love it.

As I close I would like you to pray for Art Goodrich, a long time member here at Faith. At is approximately 82 years old and has been having several physical issues in recent months. He has been in Robinson Hospital this past week with a lot of fluid in his chest among other things, and has been put on hospice care about mid week. I will be leaving now to be with him and Tom, as Art is slowly declining and may be with the Lord very soon. He knows Christ as His Savior, please pray for a gentle transition from this life to the next whenever that time comes. Pray for Tom, Sandi, Jessica, and Justin as well as Tom's extended family. Thank you.

Pastor Don Workman

No comments: