Friday, November 20, 2009

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Though Veteran's Day is just past, here is a story with which some veterans can relate:

While working as a Navy nurse in a military hospital's emergency room, I was required to introduce myself by my rank and full name. I usually refer to myself as Ensign Mike Payne, but one busy day I rushed into a patient's room and blurted, "Hi, I'm Ensign Payne."

"Hi," the patient responded. "I'm in some pain too."

And then I read this one which hits a little closer to home for me:

"The human brain is a wonderful thing: it starts working the moment you are born, and never stops until you stand up to speak in public."

I have had to work hard at this and still do, always hoping for the best - not for me, but for my listeners.

As you attend church services this Sunday, I hope that in addition to listening that you will also participate fully in all ways. For us here at Faith in Streetsboro we have the following for your blessing and growth:

9:30 AM - classes for all ages including four Adult Bible Fellowships ("1 Thessalonians," "Colossians," "The Life of David," and "Fighting Spiritual Battles.")

10:45 AM - Worship service with great songs of praise, an opportunity to give, and hearing from God's Word from 1 John 2:18 - 27 as we consider, "Correct Doctrine, Our Safeguard Against Error."

4:45 PM - Choir practice for the upcoming Christmas cantata. (note that practice for the children & teen Christmas program is during the second half of the morning service.)

6:00 PM - in the service for Adults, Jeff Sheldon will be sharing from God's Word along the lines of Thanksgiving to prepare our hearts for the holiday. Our Student Ministry will fellowship together in games, food, and learning about "Transferring the Title" of your heart to Christ. And our AWANA kids will enjoy their club time of learning and fun. The special activity for them this week is to bring your favorite stuffed animal to show, so don't forget.

Due to the Thanksgiving Holiday this week please note that there will be NO midweek services on either Wedsnesday or Thursday. And our offices will be closed after Tuesday. My family would appreciate your prayers for us as Joshua, Emily, and Leah travel here on Tuesday, then all of us will travel to Indiana to spend several days with Sarah, Sam, and our Grandboys we are looking forward to this time together. (oops! I mistakenly inserted the wrong picture of Sarah with Jonathon - since he is already in one with Sam, I must be "fair" and include Nicholas, you know? And I cannot figure out how to delete a picture that once gets posted in this blog - any help??)

In my absence next Sunday a friend, Pastor Bob Kuhns will be speaking in our morning service. Bob recently retired from a long term ministry at Brown Street Baptist Church in Akron, OH and is available for speaking engagements such as ours. In the evening service next Sunday our friend, Pastor Igor Bagirov will be updating us on his ministry with the Beth - El Congregation in Cleveland and will bring a message from God's Word. Please plan to give a love offering to him for his ministry. He always enjoys coming to our church, I am sorry to miss him this time.

Our annual church business meeting will be held on Wednesday, December 2 at 7:00 PM. This is the meeting when we vote to affirm proposed officers and a new budget for 2010. Both a list of officers and the budget will be posted this Sunday on the bulletin board for your review and prayer. If you are a member this is one of those obligations you have to be a part of the life of our church; we need you there. We will also give any updates on ministries as well as progress on the informal merger talks we have mentioned in our services the past two weeks.

Our UPWARD basketball registration is in full swing! See the display in the lobby to pick up a brochure, and if you will help us distribute brochures, put a sign in your yard, or help get the word out in other ways we would appreciate it. We also need more to volunteer to be coaches, referees, and concession workers, as well as financial aid sponsors for needy children. You can sign up in the lobby as well as see me or Dan Kieta about sponsorship.

For the most part we are thankful for good health in our congregation overall in the midst of the flu season. I understand from news reports that the swine flu "epidemic" seems to have hit it's peak and is on the way out. I certainly hope so, but I also encourage us all to continue to use caution and common sense in healthy cleanliness.

May God bless you as you pray and prepare for His services on Sunday. And if you attend a church other than ours here at Faith, jot me a comment (below on this page) letting us all rejoice with you in the activities of your church and the blessings God gives through its' ministries.

No comments: