Friday, July 11, 2008

July 13, 2008

Our internet connection at the church office was malfunctioning last week, so there was no "Looking Toward Sunday" able to be sent out - I apologize, but don't know why since it really was not my fault.

But you were probably so busy with your July 4th holiday plans that you didn't miss it anyway! I hope you had a good and safe celebration and fun with family and friends. I bought Beth her first ever fishing license, and she put it to good use by catching a nice catfish among many "shiners." Nothing worth keeping, but a fun day. Leah's roommate from college, Lisa, came and spent the weekend with us. We went to my hometown of Wickliffe, Ohio to watch their wonderful fireworks display which was awe inspiring as usual. Then we got some ice cream on the way home, a fitting ending to a nice day. I hope yours was just as nice.

This summer at Faith has been a good one. God has blest us in many ways, even though our offerings have been low (but have picked up the past two weeks - thank you.) Our ABF's at 9:30 AM have been a help and blessing to all who attend. The book of Daniel, The Gospel of John, and a new study in the book of Job are offered to you for your benefit. Support one of them by your attendance.

At 10:45 AM our Worship service will feature a blend of hymns and modern songs, a system that has worked well for our church. I plan to wrap up our series on "Acceptable Worship" by looking at two passages in the book of Hebrews, parts of chapters 10 and 11 that will answer the question, "How Can I Be Sure I am Worshipping Correctly?" In my own personal worship life I have found these chapters to be a tremendous help and guide. In fact, the first part of it serves as my weekly guide as I prepare my own heart, and I hope it will do the same for you. In all of this I do not intend to give the impression that our Worship to God is complicated; but I want us to know that God does not accept "any old thing" we throw at Him under the guise of "worship." I hope you have been reminded and challenged to worship God as He prescribes it in His Word.

In the evening our "Summer Small Groups" continue to meet, this week one at church and the other at the Sterner's home ( the Bill Mace group does NOT meet this Sunday.) These groups have been a great blessing to those attending. The informal nature has been a complement to our morning ABF's, so please plan to attend one this week.

For our Board Members, please remember that our regular meeting is scheduled for this Thursday, July 17 at 5:30 pm. Please give me any agenda items you have. And I do not remember lining up the supper situation - it may be "bring your own" this time.


Keep Nikki Carroll and Bobby Childs in your prayers this week as they prepare to be married this Saturday, July 19 at 2:00 pm. A lot of planning has gone into the whole thing, please pray for good weather, our air conditioning to work properly (thanks, Ron for fixing it this week), and for all the family and friends traveling here this week. Bobby and his family are from Oregon, so pray they will have safe and uneventful trips.

And then next Sunday, July 20 we begin our Vacation Bible School at 6:30 pm. The theme this year is "Dino Detectives, Digging for God's Truth." It is an exciting time and already a lot of decorations and prizes are up. Please invite the kids in your homes and neighborhoods to come and join the fun learning times. It runs each evening through Thursday.

In the midst of all this, Beth will have her vocal chord surgery on Tuesday, July 15. She had the "pre - op" meeting and tests this past Monday, and all looks ready to go. Please keep her in prayer as she has never had a general antisthetic before and we don't know how she will respond to it afterward. And please know that she is not allowed to talk at all for three days following the surgery, so please don't think she is shunning you if you see her. Ask me how it went, I will be her "mouth piece" (some will say, 'what's new about that?')

Thank you for your prayers and interest in our church. As you take part here (or in your own church) I pray that God will bless and minister to your heart and that in turn He will be pleased by what you prayerfully and "preparedly" offer Him. Jot me a note either in the 'comments' or email sections here to let me rejoice with you or pray for you in what God is accomplishing in your walk with Him.


Nicholas is not yet two years old, but Sam found him trying to "work" the computer a couple of weeks ago. He has the basic idea, and pretty soon will be able to teach Bella how to use one better! I hope he is not buying stocks online like that baby in the commercial!

No comments: