Thursday, October 4, 2007

Sunday, October 7, 2007

I don't know about where you live, but here in northeastern Ohio the leaves are starting to turn colors (mostly in the reds) and some are even falling off the trees. I love fall, I don't like what follows. But I am thankful to be alive to experience it all. I say that because last Thursday, Friday, and Saturday I was very sick (which means I didn't think I would make it.) Well, it turned out to be from a fairly sudden stopping of the prednisone I was taking for poison ivy. They didn't tell me you had to "come down" gradually. I didn't even know I was "up there." All I knew is that my poison ivy was gone, and I was glad. After a doctor visit and a shot of something, I felt much better by Saturday afternoon. Just in time to go to my urologist appointment yesterday for a check up, through which I was given a good report.

But Beth is another matter - early this week one of her back molars broke in half, which resulted in a root canal (actually five roots in one tooth.) That was $1,100 we didn't plan on. Now she has to get the "cap" put on in a couple of weeks, an additional $900 that we didn't plan on. I am thankful that we did sell her car last week, which will pay for the cap - glad I didn't spend that money too early!

We both plan to go to Indiana this Friday and Saturday for Nicholas' birthday celebration and should be back on Sunday - healthy we hope! After how I felt this past weekend we are glad his party was changed to this week. We can't wait to see him, last week he got his first "big boy" haircut!

It has been very busy and interesting around our building with the set up and judging of the Quilt Show. Tomorrow and Saturday is the actual show, if you are into quilts and in the area you shouldn't miss it. I did go out there and offered my expertise to the judges, but in a polite way they told me to "bug off." I took the hint! Really they are very nice and extremely talented ladies.

Reservations for our "Senior Money Matters Seminar" are coming in for that program next week. We will need some help with the lunch on both this coming Thursday, October 11 and the next, October 18. If you can help set up, serve, and clean up we need you. If you can provide sandwiches and chips for Oct. 11 please let us know. We will have sign up sheets available on Sunday.

"Trunk or Treat" is scheduled for Sunday, October 28 and we need many helpers along with all the candy to give out. Bill Mace is heading this up, please see him if you can help or have questions.

This Sunday our 9:30 AM classes and ABF's continue their various studies and fellowship. They all have been well attended, we encourage you not to miss it.

Our 10:45 AM service will continue with our series on "Stewardship" by looking at Luke 10 and the familiar parable Jesus gave there. "Being Generous Stewards That Please God" will be the theme of our talk. We will also be distributing our "Faith Promise for Missions" commitment cards which we would like returned by November 4 - please prayerfully consider your part. We will be putting inserts in the next four Sunday bulletins explaining in detail what it is all about if it is new to you.

At 6:00 PM our Adults and middle - high school Students join in the worship center for our monthly Communion service. This whole time is given to songs, testimonies, a brief look at God's Word (this time from Matthew 26:17 - 30) and participation in the elements that remind us and represent Christ's sacrifice on our behalf. We are prone to sometimes forget even important things in our lives, and God knows that. That is why He gave this COMMAND for us to gather and remember through a service like this. Make it your priority this week.

Our AWANA kids will have their time of learning and fun at 6:00 PM. Part of that will be wearing Cleveland Indians paraphenalia (sp?) celebrating the fact that they are one of the BEST TEAMS IN BASEBALL and still playing in October. GO INDIANS, BEAT THOSE YANKEES - no matter how LeBron feels about it!!

Here are some words of advice that some gave to me, that I hope will be helpful to you:
- Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them.
- Never buy a car bigger than you can push.
- Drive carefully - it is not only cars that can be recalled by their Maker.
- Accept the fact that some days you are the pigeon, and other days you are the statue.

Thanks for reading these weekly notes. Don't forget to look over our website if you haven't for awhile. And be sure to check our podcast site at http://fbcstreetsboro.podbean.com/ to listen to past sermons. Thanks for your consistent giving and prayers for me and others. May God bless you as you prepare your heart for all He has for you this Sunday.

Pastor Don Workman
www.faithbaptiststreetsboro.org

1 comment:

Sarah Burke said...

don't you mean poison ivory?